503 films where released in the Uk in 2009
31 (4%) of these where Suspense/Thriller films...
Genre Gross : £42,578,108
The top three films that year:
- Angels and Demons - (age rated; 12A)
- Knowing- (age rated; 15)
- Harry Brown (age rated; 18)
Why are thrillers popular with people?
According to http://www.filmsite.org/thrillerfilms.html the main reasons why thrillers are so popular is because:
- They provide thrills and suspense
- They keep the audience at the edge of their seats as the plot builds towards a climax
- the main character(s) is placed in a menacing situation or mystery, or an escape or dangerous mission in which the escape seems impossible their life is threatened, usually because the main character is unsuspecting or unknowingly involved in a dangerous or potentially deadly situation
- thrillers keep the emphasis away from the gangster, crime, or the detective in the crime-related plot, focusing more on the suspense and danger that is generated
- Characters in thrillers include convicts, criminals, stalkers, assassins, down-on-their-luck losers, innocent victims (often on the run) etc.
The themes of thrillers frequently include terrorism, political conspiracy, pursuit, or romantic triangles leading to murder. These are all things faced by individuals in the audienece troughout their everyday life making it easier for them to feel empathy/ sympathy for a character.